Show ratings & reviews for

3.7 Overall Rating

Most voted positive review

80 People found this comment helpful

This drug has saved my sanity. I have been on and off Effexor 3 or 4 times. If you do not go off of this drug slowly it can cause terrible side effects. If taken as the doctor prescribes, it is great.

Most voted negative review

27 People found this comment helpful

This drug was terrible for me. Started with 37.5mg and almost immediately had tremors. Going down stairs, legs wobbling..... stopped immediately.

Shared reviews and ratings

Christy | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
2/8/2024
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs
Satisfaction

I was put on 75mg to start, then wanted off of it, and was put on 37.5mg, and weaning myself. I currently take it once then skip 2 days, then repeat until gone. Side effects for me are blurry vision, brain shocks, dizziness,and nauseous. I'll never take this ever again!

VM PPPD | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
2/5/2024
Condition: Other
Overall rating 4.7
Satisfaction

Taken it for Vestibular Migraine complicated by PPPD. Started with 75mg and increased to 150mg. Conditioned resolved gradually after 8-12 weeks. Side effects go away after 2 weeks from increasing the dose. Took it for one year and then reduced gradually over another 12 months by opening the capsule and removing pellets slowly using precise scales. Did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. If you suffer from this condition, do not hesitate to start treatment immediately. Unless you want to suffer for years.Read More Read Less

Hannah | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/29/2024
Overall rating 5.0
Satisfaction

Effexor truly changed my life. I have been on 150 mg for almost 3 years! My anxiety has been very manageable and controllable ever since. The only side effects I notice is a very high amount of sweating while I sleep, and my alcohol tolerance is very obviously lower.

Justin u. | 19-24 | Male | Patient
1/23/2024
Satisfaction

Literally saved my life, it does cause me to have high blood pressure. But I’ve been on this medication for two years and it’s life changing for the good!

Xane | 19-24 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/6/2024
Satisfaction

I had taken Effexor in the morning and about 12 hours later when i came home from work something happened and i was sent into almost like psychosis for the next 12 hours and then i was fine for the most part, reason it happened im guessing is drug interactions

Amanda | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/22/2023
Condition: Repeated Episodes of Anxiety
Satisfaction

Took one 37.5 mg last night. Could not sleep at all. Never have I felt so sick in my life. Tremors, dry mouth, massive migraine. It's horrible! Will NEVER take this again

francis | Male | Patient
12/12/2023
Condition: Neuropathic Pain
Satisfaction

since I took the medicine my pain has gotten worse. I have pain I never had before. I will discontinue the medication tonight.

Fredrick | 19-24 | Other | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
11/28/2023
Condition: Extreme Apprehension or Fear of Social Interaction
Overall rating 4.0
Satisfaction

It was gud. It heps me be less scared.

Valley4 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/9/2023
Overall rating 2.0
Satisfaction

I was on Effexor for a month and accidentally missed a dose one night. Just from missing one dose, it gave me withdrawal symptoms that lead me into the Emergency Room 2 nights in a row. It was the worst experience of my life.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/26/2023
Satisfaction

Just be aware if it doesn’t work for you, have fun getting off of it. Terrible side effects. It shouldn’t be legal. Let this be your warning. I wish someone had warned me.

Ken | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/22/2023
Satisfaction

I was on Citalopram for 12 years but it stopped working My Doctor changed me on to Effexor No side effects what so ever now on 225 mg and back at work Thank you Effexor it saved my life

Anonymous | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/20/2023
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder
Satisfaction

I was on venlafaxine for a little over a year after bring diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Started at the lowest dose of 37.5mg and ended up going all the way to 150mg. It was awful getting on the drug and even worse going up. I don’t think this is the drug I needed and possibly was misdiagnosed, so that could be why it didn’t work in my favor. Long story short, this drug caused me to test positive for PCP and made me behave in ways I have never before. It was a long spiral downhill from beginning to end and had to work very hard to get my life back on track. It was definitely a huge learning experience for me. Read More Read Less

Kelly | 55-64 | Female | Patient
8/17/2023
Satisfaction

This medication is horrible , made me feel crappy. I only took one pill and I felt like I was going crazy. Severe nausea , trembling , hot flashes . My dr or the pharmacist never told me about it being highly addictive and hard to come off . Never ever taking anything again !!

Report this postFill 3Created with Sketch.
Venlafaxine | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
7/27/2023
Condition: Other
Satisfaction

Horrible side effects and even worse are the withdrawals. It's almost impossible to get off this drug without horrific withdrawal symptoms. On top of that, most doctors dismiss your side effects, don't know how to taper you off this drug and when you get withdrawals they blame it on your original condition (relapse) or diagnose you with something else adding more drugs. It should be criminal what these doctors are doing to people.

Terry | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/17/2023
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs
Overall rating 2.0
Satisfaction

Initially placed on 75 mg for mild depression due to the change of life. A different doctor suggested I go up to 225 mg stating it could help me with dizziness issues. Worst thing I ever did. I’m in a living hell trying to get off this medication.

Cuzd1010 | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
7/5/2023
Condition: Posttraumatic Stress Syndrome
Satisfaction

This medication is EXTREMELY addictive. It will cause horrible side effects. Dizziness, brain zaps, severe mood swings, nausea And just overall feeling unlike anything you have ever experienced trying to get off this medicine. They say opiods are addictive. If they're more addictive than effexor. I have some prime oil land for sale in Maine For anyone who believes that bs from the pharmaceutical companies. It should be against the law for this medication to even be on the market. You can't even miss 1 dose without feeling side effects. It will take you 2 to 3 months to get off.of this and you'll feel worse than you ever have. Read More Read Less

None | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/14/2023
Condition: Bipolar Depression
Overall rating 5.0
Satisfaction

I was put on this medication as my mood stabiliser alone wasn’t controlling my depression. I have schizoaffective bipolar and part of that is severe depressive episodes. I also have terrible anxiety. I was suicidal when I was put on venlafaxine and within a few weeks my depression and anxiety were much improved. The combination of medication helped me go back to work and function better. I feel much more calm. Good medication. I’m coming off of it to get pregnant as an article by the CDC shows it can harm unborn babies.Read More Read Less

Jonathan | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/24/2023
Overall rating 2.3
Satisfaction

I started on 75mg for two months then moved up to 150mg. After Christmas I moved up to 225mg. I am 3 months sober from alcohol and feeling exhausted every day. Venlafaxine doesn't make me feel good just extremely tired all day long. I cannot function at all like this.

Effexor | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/7/2023
Condition: Anxiousness associated with Depression
Satisfaction

I have taken antidepressants since 2000, 2 years ago I began experiencing severe perimenopause anxiety. Effexor has worked great to take my anxiety and depression away. No antidepressant works in a few days, give it a couple weeks to kick in and get used to it.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/3/2023
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder
Overall rating 2.7
Satisfaction

I started taking zoloft for anxiety and depression at age 40 and had good results for more than 10 years. In my early 50s it stopped working even at the maximum dose of 200mg. I switched to effexor with no problems from the transition. Over the last two years on the effexor I have had some good periods of time but also some bad periods that have lasted for months. I decided to try something else. I am currently taking Lexapro while tapering down on the effexor. After one month, both my depression and anxiety are bad. I don't know if its the reduction in effexor, ineffectiveness of the Lexapro, or just the illness itself. Read More Read Less

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT USER-GENERATED CONTENT ON WEBMD