Show ratings & reviews for

4.6 Overall Rating

Most voted positive review

59 People found this comment helpful

I began using Lysine 5 years ago due to a bad outbreak of cold sores. I had suffered cold sores all my life several times a year but this was one of my worst outbreaks and I had tried everything else to heal them, my pharmacist recommended L-Lysine ointment and told me others had said that taking the supplement reduced the outbreaks so I decided to try that too. The next day the ointment had cut...

Most voted negative review

8 People found this comment helpful

No sure if it helped or not?

Shared reviews and ratings

Butch | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
4/5/2024
Satisfaction

An off hand suggestion from my nurse at the VA clinic, I gave Lysine a try. In one week the sores in my mouth that I had been told were possible cancer by my Dentist were gone. The edges of my mouth are also healed. I am able to just about able to eat all the foods I have had to avoid for the last 25 years. Yes I know this sounds to good to be true, but it is true for this Veteran.

Pylestone | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
11/29/2023
Satisfaction

I have lupus, so I get what they call lupus sores. Along with the lupus sores I also have geo graphic tongue, which according to my oral dermatologist is not supposed to hurt very bad, clearly she had never had it. I will say that I have also noticed a mood change from extreme depression to feeling so much better. Have lost weight over this past year, and I have also noticed that my facial skin is not as saggy. I have been using this on and off since I was a child, around 7 and I am now 43, it has always cleared up mouth sores.Read More Read Less

9/21/2023
Satisfaction

I got shingles, the medicine from the Dr. didn't do a thing! I called my Mom, and she said to take two L-Lysene in the morning and two at night, I took two more the second day and they were gone! I take it now because my skin is getting dry patches, which I think are related to aging, I'm only 65! It is helping with the overall condition of my skin.

Anne | On supplement for less than 1 month |
2/28/2023
Satisfaction

For decades I have had HSV1 but I do not get any skin eruptions, only skin tingling and tissue pain near the skin, and fatigue with occasional, mild flu symptoms. With this, my tinnitus worsens and sometimes I feel light-headed. I have tested positive for HSV1 several times. The HSV1 events can last between three days and three months and are associated with emotional stress. Taking Acylclovir can help with the tissue pain, which extends all over my body and sometimes briefly to internal organs. At some point, the Acyclovir seems to be less effective and I simply have to sleep through the event. This week, two weeks into an HSV event, I decided to look for research on a supplement to help and discovered information about L-Lysine. Within an hour of taking 2000 mg all pain in my tissues was gone and tingling had greatly diminished. I felt a brightness in my perception and realized how foggy headed I had been. Today is my third day on L-Lysine and when I stop taking it the symptoms recur. I do understand that too much for too long can have negative effects. I'm 57 and I have also been noticing a lot of thinning of my skin. I'm hoping the l-Lysine might help with this, too!Read More Read Less

Martin | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/20/2022
Satisfaction

I’ve been diagnosed with Ankelosing Spondylitis of the spine which triggers migraines on a daily basis. This is now day 8 having taken 3 grams a day and no headache..I appreciate it’s early days but it’s looking good so far with not one single headache.

itreallyhelps | Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
3/17/2022
Satisfaction

I take L-Lysine 1000mg during times of stress. I get mouth blisters especially when I have events or appointments and this prevents them and/or makes them go away in a few days. I have also noticed my face tends to not break out during these periods. I have trialed it myself, and on days I take L-Lysine, I get no new breakouts and even after a few days after. I also find my fine lines and wrinkles look a little less noticeable. I thought it was a coinicidence or maybe because of how much water I have to drink to get it to go down since its big was what was helping my skin, so I did a mini study. No matter my diet, sleep or water intake, L-Lysine was also helping my skin! Maybe just me but it genuinely helps. Also makes sense as when I was younger, the only time my skin was clearing up (I had bad acne) was when my mom made me take an L-Lysine for a blister.Read More Read Less

Nature's Life, L-Lysine Powder | Age: 19-24 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
11/2/2018
Condition: Schizophrenia
Overall rating 3.3
Kelvin | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
10/22/2018
Condition: Canker sores
Satisfaction

Before taking L-lysine from the NOW brand, I had been suffering from canker sores for the last 20 years on a very regular basis. My canker sore(s) would last for one week, maybe even two weeks. Once cured, I would be pain-free for a few days to one week and then I would get one or two new canker sores, making it painful to talk or eat sometimes, especially when it is under the tongue. Anyway, I read that L-lysine could prevent canker sores from forming so I started taking one L-lysine 1000mg tablet from the NOW brand three times a day, mostly on empty stomach downed with a cup of water. Once first thing in the morning upon waking up at 6 AM, once at about 6 PM when I reach home and about half an hour before eating dinner and once before going to be bed at 10:45 PM. As an ethnic Chinese, we believe in "heaty" and "cooling" foods. Despite eating significant amount of "heaty" foods such as fried foods, potato chips and chocolates (that would have surely caused canker sores in the past) just to test whether the L-Lysine works as a form of prevention, I didn't experience any canker sores in the last 2 - 3 weeks since I started. It's so wonderful to experience a mouth that is pain-free for once. Read More Read Less

ed | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
9/15/2018
Condition: Herpes labialis (cold sores)
Satisfaction

As preventive to cold sores. Controling lysine and arginine rich food intake also helps. To prevent cold sore outbreaks arginine should never be consumed in excess to lysine. Cutting seeds, nuts, chocolate, etc. also helps because they have a lot of arginine. So l-lysine suplement helps to balance daily intake. 1000 mg is the correct daily dose for most people according to body weight. More than 1000 mg daily should be taken only if necessary and for little time.

Age: 35-44 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
9/2/2018
Satisfaction

Don't think it made any difference at all for the HSV, but for topical infections/acne, it has been extremely helpful. Chronic acne and infection from diabetes weakened immune system, and now it's more like a few normal pimples instead of big throbbing painful oozing things and having them all over all the time.

Cratertots | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
7/8/2017
Overall rating 4.3
Satisfaction

I always hit my cold sores with l lysine. I also got shingles and used it for that too. I hardly got any shingles sores after I started taking it.

Mrs. Claus | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
7/1/2017
Satisfaction

It has helped my skin as well as my cold sores. Great>>

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
3/6/2017
Satisfaction

I use it for Diabetes and for cold sores.

Mai | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
1/14/2017
Satisfaction

I am 49 y/o and I have had cold sore outbreaks ever since my beloved mother gave me a kiss on the mouth when she had a cold sore outbreak when I was 16 years old. Three weeks later I got my first cold sore and I've had them every winter ever since. Winter 2015 I finally figured out that my outbreaks were due to the cold snaps we get living in Florida. I realized that when it starts to get cold (below 50°) my lips will start to feel like a prune and NO amount of lip moisturizing helps. I finally realized it was the cold snaps that was changing my pH balance and breaking me out in cold sores . It took me till I was literally this age of 49 to figure this out . I just figured cold Soares was something I would have to live through every winter which I have until 2015. During the summer when I never have outbreaks because my lips are moist I started taking small doses of lysing (500 mg) and also for the first time started taking biotin for "hair skin and nails" (one maximum dosage daily tablet 10k mcg). I took these two over-the-counter medicines religiously every day starting September 2016... Just before the cold season hit . I do not take them during the spring and summer because I don't breakout. Whenever the cold snaps DID occur I IMMEDIATELY UP my l-lysine to 3x a day ... Usually blended into my smoothies so I couldn't taste it at all... 1000 mg (yup!) each serving... morning noon night . Sometimes I even did it four times a day. (I got this 3k - 4k MG dosage idea from a holistic website). When the cold snap ended I DROPPED the dosage of l-lysine (any brand you want) to normal 500 mg. Also Biotene is taken every day year-round with my regular vitamin supplements . If I felt like it during a cold snap I might take biotin morning and night with my l-lysine smoothie :) Lip moisturizers don't keep you from breaking out. This is my second year and I have had ZERO outbreaks it's awesome. Finally!!!!! L lysine and biotin. Read More Read Less

Age: 35-44 |
1/9/2017
Condition: Herpes labialis (cold sores)
Overall rating 3.7
noname | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
1/1/2017
Satisfaction

I use super lysine+ for many years. I only take when I feel the start of a ocld sore. I take 3 pils 3x day. Often it never erupts, but even if it does, it doesn't last nearly as long as if I don't take. If I don't take till after eruption it seriously decreases the eruption time and severity. I don't take when no issues. I've recommended to friends, and they have also had similar results.

Cindy93 | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
12/22/2016
Satisfaction

I have taken L-Lysine for years at the onset of the tingling of herpes (simplex or shingles) and it works like a charm. 1000 mg every hours.With the shingles I also added b complex, vitamin c (1000mg) and VSC by Natures Sunshine. Shingles outbreak minimal, lasted less than 2 weeks, no residual pain, skin staining etc.

Light | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
10/28/2016
Satisfaction

I always have cold sores on my lips every year, after taking Lysine, my cold sore was gone since then, it's been more than a year now. Thanks God.

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |